Krill Oil for Brain Health: How it can Improve Cognitive Function
Krill oil is an increasingly popular supplement for improving brain health and cognitive function. It contains omega-3 fatty acid that has been found to be beneficial for the brain, particularly in the areas of memory, focus, and concentration.
Studies have suggested that it can help reduce inflammation in the brain, which can lead to improved memory and concentration. It may also help to protect against age-related cognitive decline and mental disorders such as Alzheimer’s disease.
This article will explore the potential of krill oil for brain health and how it can improve cognitive function.
What is krill oil?
Krill oil is a type of oil that is extracted from krill. It is a small marine crustacean that is sustainably harvested in the Southern Ocean. They naturally contain phospholipids, omega-3 EPA and DHA, choline, and other brain-boosting elements as a result of their rich algae diet.
These essential fatty acids are essential for health, as they cannot be produced by the body and must be obtained from food sources.
Phospholipids in it play an important role in delivering omega-3s to vital organs like the brain. It also contains the antioxidant astaxanthin, which has powerful anti-inflammatory properties.
Many people prefer taking it to fish oil, as it is more sustainable and contains fewer environmental toxins. It is also more bioavailable than fish oil, meaning that it is more easily absorbed by the body.
The benefits of krill oil for brain health
Krill oil has been extensively researched and is thought to be beneficial for brain health in a number of ways.
- Omega-3 fatty acids in krill oil are especially important for the structure and function of the brain. Regular consumption of omega-3 fatty acids has been shown to reduce inflammation in the brain, reduce the risk of cognitive decline, and improve cognitive performance.
Research has also suggested that omega-3 fatty acids may be beneficial for people with depression, anxiety, and ADHD.
- The Omega-3 fatty acids in it are in phospholipid forms. So they can cross the blood-brain barrier easily and thus helps to improve the brain’s functions.
- The antioxidant astaxanthin, found in it, is also known to be beneficial for brain health. It has powerful anti-inflammatory properties and may protect the brain from oxidative stress and damage. It may also increase blood flow to the brain, leading to improved cognitive function.
Krill oil vs. fish oil: Which is better for brain health?
Krill oil and fish oil are both rich sources of omega-3 fatty acids. But there are some key differences between the two.
- Unlike fish oils, which have the chance to contain metal poisoning like mercury, krill oil is obtained from the clear and less-discovered waters of Antarctica which makes it more sustainable and contain fewer environmental toxins.
- It is also more bioavailable in our body than fish oil because Omega-3s get transported across the blood brain barrier and into the brain in a phospholipid form. This means it is more easily absorbed by the body.
- Studies have shown that its more effective at increasing blood levels of omega-3 fatty acids.
When it comes to brain health, both krill oil and fish oil are thought to be beneficial. However, krill oil may be the better choice, due to its higher bioavailability and fewer environmental toxins.
How krill oil improves cognitive function
Krill oil has been studied for its potential to improve cognitive function. Studies have shown that it can improve working memory, spatial memory, and task-switching abilities.
- The omega-3 fatty acids in it may be responsible for its cognitive-enhancing effects, as they are known to be beneficial for the structure and function of the brain.
- The anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties of astaxanthin may also help to protect the brain from damage and reduce inflammation.
- The phospholipids in Krill oil have been proven to increase omega-3 levels in the blood, and nourishing the brain with naturally occurring nutrients can enhance cognitive performance.
The bottom line
As krill oil contains omega-3 fatty acids that have been shown to improve cognitive function and protect the brain from damage, it has become an increasingly popular supplement.
Vieroots’ Krill Oil contains Antarctic krill, which is the richest source of omega-3 in the form of phospholipids, thereby giving it a high bioavailability. Thus, this is a natural source of key nutrients to support brain health, ensuring that we are protecting our brains better.
How about giving it a try?