Shankupushpi along with certain other herbs like jatamansi, muktha pishti gives good results in treating anxiety.Shankupushpi in combination with other herbs like Brahmi has a beneficial effect on your heart health.The leaves and flowers of Shankupushpi are known to have hypotensive (lowering Blood Pressure)properties.People with elevated blood pressure may be able to control it by consuming Shankupushpi.This powerful herb also helps in modulating Stress and Anxiety, which play a part in hypertension.Let us look at some of the other health benefits of Shankupushpi
Shankupushpi for gastric ulcers
- Increased levels of gastric acid can be a result of unhealthy eating habits.This can damage the stomach lining leading to gastric ulcers.
- The benefit of consuming shankupushpi is that it helps in reducing the ulcers by enhancing the secretions of glycoproteins in the body.This helps in strengthening the mucous membranes and mucosal cells of the stomach.
The antibacterial action of Shankupushpi
- There are many secondary metabolites present in Shankupushpi.These metabolites are responsible for the anti bacterial action of Shankupushpi.
- The antibacterial action of Shankupushpi helps in enhancing the healing of the body.It is very beneficial for the treatment of fungal infections including eye infections, gonorrhea etc.
Shankupushpi plays a very important role in treating many skin infections.
- It contains plenty of antioxidants which is very effective in removing free radicals and it is helpful in alleviating itching sensation caused due to allergic conditions like psoriasis, acne, sunburn etc.
- It also helps in treating various signs of aging like wrinkles, fine lines etc.
Shankupushpi for depression
- Depression is a major mental ailment just like anxiety.It can affect a person both mentally and physically. Shankupushpi has anti depressant properties.By reducing the level of plasma cortisol in the body,it helps in alleviating the symptoms of depression. It helps in balancing the level of neurotransmitters in the body,and increases dopamine secretion in the brain.This helps in controlling the level of another neurotransmitter called serotonin,which is often responsible for worsening the symptoms of depression.
Shankhpushpi for Alzheimer’s
- The common form of dementia seen in older people is Alzheimer’s.People with Alzheimer’s loose their memory as they age.Did you know that Shankupushpi has a beneficial role in Alzheimer’s. As already mentioned, shankupushpi contains many secondary metabolites like triterpenoids, anthocyanin,flavonol glycosides.These are very effective in controlling the effects of Alzheimer’s.
Other health benefits of Shankupushpi
This herb also plays a significant role in providing relief from chronic headaches, tension etc. It helps in improving nerve function by soothing nerves and provides a calming effect on brain. Shankupushpi also helps in improving the quality, duration and provides a peaceful sleep by reducing the levels of a stress hormone called cortisol. This herb is also considered safe for pregnant women as it strengthens the uterus and prevents miscarriages.It helps prevent the destruction of neurons and improves cognitive function.It is also found to be very effective in treating different types of stomach ulcers including peptic ulcer and ulcerative colitis as already mentioned.In ayurveda, shankupushpi is used in combination with otherherbs like yashti, muktha pishti to treat attension deficity hyperactivity disorders.It also helps in maintaining equilibrium in your nervous system and help in lowering cholesterol and harmful fatty acids in the body.Due to its strong antioxidative nature, shankupushpi is very helpful in strengthening the heart muscles and also in treating various heart ailments.One of the constituents present in this herb help in reducing the levels of fatty acids and hence reduces the risk of heart attacks,heart blockages, blood clots etc. It is also scientifically proven that usage of this herb is good for increasing your longevity of life.