Urinary tract infection is the second most common type of infection in the body and it involves infection in the kidneys, ureters, bladder or urethra. Women are more prone to this infection. In women, shorter urethra and closer proximity of urethral orifice to anus makes it easy for bacteria to reach urinary bladder to cause urinary tract infections. But, it can become serious when they occur in men. The name of the urinary tract infection depends on its location in the urinary tract. The most common cause of bladder infections is E.coli bacteria and another major cause could be dehydration. As you know, dehydration leads to infrequent urination and this creates stagnant and striving environment for bacteria. If you have the habit of holding the urine for a long time, this can cause the urine to back up. This creates pressure on the valves and it can also weaken your bladder. This makes it very difficult to empty your bladder, the next time you go to urinate. Did you know that many organisms which cause urinary tract infections are becoming resistant to available drugs? But still there is a solution to this problem. Let us look into it.
What can be the cause of Urinary tract infections as per Ayurveda?
According to Ayurveda, it is said that Vata, Pita and Kapha are the three energies in the body which are responsible for good health. It is believed that Urinary tract infections are due to the imbalance of pita doshas.These can result in various health complications such as inflammation of the urethra, bladder and kidney infections. In Ayurveda, there are many herbs which help in the healing and prevention of urinary tract infections. One such herb is called Gokshura.It can be very beneficial for maintaing good health of your urinary tract and it is one of the top bladder infection remedies.
Signs and symptoms of Urinary tract Infections
- Urinary incontinence
- Cloudy or white urine
- Painful urination
- Blood in the urine
- Burning sensation while urinating are some of the urinary disorders.
Factors leading to urinary tract infections
- Consuming too much of spicy, salty food and drinks.
- Alcohol consumption
- Not drinking sufficient water
- Suppressing the urge for urination(holding the urine for a long time)
Benefits of consuming gokshura
- Gokshura is helpful in treating most of the urinary tract infections.
- It helps in promoting the flow of the urine, soothes the membranes of the urinary tract and helps in the discharge of stones.
- It helps in stopping bleeding, strengthens the function of the kidneys and aids in rejuvenating the kidneys.
- Consuming Gokshura helps not only in reducing pain and burning micturition, it also helps to stimulate proper urination. Gokshura also acts as a mild diuretic and helps in treating dysuria.
- The anti-bacterial and anti-microbial properties of Gokshura helps to prevent urinary tract infections.
- Gokshura and Ashwagandha are a good combination together. This combination helps in attaining better immunity and anti-aging effects along with several other benefits.
- Gokshura can also help to improve your digestion and it can provide you relief from intestinal gas. This herb has appetizer properties which helps in digesting the food easily and it helps to prevent gas formation in the intestines.
- Gokshura in combination with other herbs like haritaki, lashuna and others are very effective in promoting reproductive health.
Gokshura is an ideal herb for skin problems, prostate gland disorders, diuretic issues, heart problems, Poly cystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS) etc. Although PCOS is very common in women, the worst thing about PCOS is that it makes it difficult to conceive. For women, who are affected by PCOS, gokshura is very beneficial. By consuming gokshura regularly, issues like unwanted weight gain can also be dealt with. This herb also works as an anti-aging agent and improves the functioning of your brain.