Ashwagandha herb is considered to be one of the most important herbs in Ayurvedic medicine. It is considered as a Rasayana in Ayurveda, which means it is a herb that helps maintain youth, both mentally and physically. Did you know that every part of Ashwagandha herb is extremely useful? The roots of Ashwagandha have been used to treat many health conditions such as arthritis, constipation, insomnia, skin conditions, stress, gastrointestinal problems,diabetes,snake bites, memory loss etc. Even the leaves, seeds and fruits of Ashwagandha have been used in different ways to treat various illnesses. Read on to know more about this powerful herb.
Why is Ashwagandha so very important?
Do you know that even though plants are not able to move, they have many powerful chemicals called phytochemicals inside them? All plants contain phytochemicals that can perform specific tasks. When consumed, the phytochemicals present in these plants can activate many pathways inside our body and can have a positive impact on our bodies. Ashwagandha herb is special in this regard, because it contains large quantities of these phytochemicals, which makes it extremely beneficial. Now let us look at the health benefits of Ashwagandha.
Ashwagandha reduces Stress and Anxiety
Ashwagandha helps the body to adapt to stress. Many people give importance only to physical health. But, mental health is equally important as physical health. Many people are suffering from stress. Stress affects your body, thoughts, feelings and behaviour. Do you know that about forty five percent of adults suffer adverse health effects from stress. It has been proved that chronic stress can increase an individual’s heart rate and blood pressure, making the heart work harder than normal.
- Ashwagandha is one of the best herbs to reduce stress. It has been reported that Ashwagandha works by blocking the stress pathways in the brain.
- Ashwagandha has a calming effect on Anxiety symptoms.
- It supports adrenal glands via normalising cortisol (stress hormone) levels.
- Adrenal function is closely related to thyroid function. So by supporting the adrenal glands, it has an indirect effect on improving the function of thyroid glands.
Ashwagandha stabilizes Blood sugar levels
Let us look at what happens if your blood sugar levels are too high or low. Having too much sugar in the blood for long periods of time, can cause serious health problems. It can damage the vessels that supply blood to your organs. Now, when your blood sugar levels are low, you might have symptoms like fatigue, nervousness, tiredness, trembling, hunger, palpitations etc. Severe cases may also lead to loss of consciousness.
- Ashwagandha has been shown to control blood sugar levels
- It helps in increasing the secretion of insulin hormone and improves insulin sensitivity.
- Ashwagandha has been shown to lower blood sugar levels in people with uncontrollable diabetes.
Ashwagandha helps treat Arthritis
Arthritis is the swelling of one or more joints in your body. The most common types of arthritis are osteoarthris and rheumatoid arthritis. Main symptoms include joint pain and stiffness.
- Ashwagandha acts as a pain reliever by acting on the nervous system and prevents brain signals from being sent.
- The anti-inflammatory properties of Ashwagandha helps in the treatment of Arthritis.
Ashwagandha for Alzheimer’s disease
Alzheimer’s is a disorder which causes brain cells to degenerate and die. It destroys memory and other mental functions.
- Withanolides, an active ingredient in Ashwagandha, have shown protective effects against beta amyloid induced plaques in Alzheimer’s disease.
- The natural antioxidants present in Ashwagandha scavenge free radicals to prevent cell damage.
Anti-cancer properties of Ashwagandha
- Ashwagandha herb is thought to have anti-cancer properties as it induces death of cancer cells.
- Ashwagandha also helps in delaying the growth of new cancer cells.
- It also helps in preventing the spread of cancer to other organs.
Ashwagandha has been part of Ayurvedic medicine for centuries. It offers several health benefits to both men and women. It also aids in weight loss. It is rich in natural antioxidants which improves overallhealth. Ashwagandha herb in combination with other herbs can also give best results. Ashwagandha and Brahmi can be combined together to get best effects. It is recommended as a brain booster and a remedy for forgetfulness. This herb also provides numerous other health benefits for your brain as well as your body. So, get ready to boost your health through this powerful herb.